These 10 Mosques Will Make You Want To Head East Immediately
In the west, we’re a bit unlucky. We don’t have the Old World architectural wonders that are the mosques of Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. No matter your religious leanings, these 10 mosques will make you want to book a plane ticket immediately and head eastwards to see these marvels.
1. Sheikh Lotfollah – Esfahan, Iran
2. Amir Aqsunqur Mosque – Cairo, Egypt
3. Ubudiah Mosque – Kuala Kangsar, Malaysia
4. Al-Aqsa Mosque – Jerusalem, Israel
5. Al-Masjid al-Haram – Mecca, Saudi Arabia
6. Wazir Khan Mosque – Lahore, Pakistan
7. Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
8. Nasir al Molk – Shiraz, Iran
9. Mosque of Ibn Tulun – Cairo, Egypt
10. Sultan Ahmed Mosque – Istanbul, Turkey
Like many churches, temples and synagogues, the mosques are active places of worship, but many also welcome tourists through their doors. Just make sure to dress appropriately. Most religious sites post their rules at the entrance, but it doesn’t hurt to carry a scarf with you just in case.
Inspiration straight to your inbox.
Go ahead, be your best self.