How To Throw An Epic Picnic
It’s officially picnic season! The perfect time to toss a blanket and some snacks in your bag and head to an optimal locale to relax and enjoy the outdoors. But, throwing the most epic picnic does require a bit more planning — don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We can’t guarantee you won’t meet up with a few ants along the way, but we swear you’ll be prepared for anything if you follow our handy guide.
- A sturdy picnic basket or picnic backpack: Find one equipped with place settings and utensils
- Blankets or an old sheet: Bring a few so you have a designated sitting area, the extras can be used as a pillow for that post-meal nap or to snuggle under if the air gets a little chilly
- Ice Packs: A must-have to keep your foods at a safe temperature. Pro tip: Freeze small bottles of water and beverages to pull double duty as ice packs and to keep you hydrated
- A small knife with a cover: How else are you going to pry open that watermelon?!
- Serving Utensils: The easiest way to try a scoop of that famous pasta salad
- Small cutting board: Perfect for cutting up, then serving a charcuterie or cheese board
The Things You’re Most Likely To Forget:
- Bottle opener/corkscrew: Easier than MacGyvering the situation
- Bug Spray or bracelets: Nature is great…until you get several bug bites
- First Aid Kit: It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt
- Wet wipes or Paper towels: Easily clean up spills and dirty hands
- Sunscreen: Protect yourself so you don’t end up looking like a lobster
- Trashbag: Don’t be those picnickers who leave a mess behind
- Umbrella: In case you can’t dash to the car fast enough when that summer storm hits
- Cards: Gin Rummy, anyone?
- Lawn Games: A bocce set or cornhole are always a crowd-pleaser
- A Frisbee or football: The best way to feel like a kid again
- Bubbles: They make everything better
Your food choices can be as basic or elaborate as you like so get creative! If you’re not sure where to start, check out our ‘Here’s The Perfect Picnic For Your Lifestyle’ guide for picnic-packing inspo.
Don’t forget! If you’re bringing your 4-legged friends, be sure to include their leash, water and food bowls (and water and food!) and a toy or two to keep them occupied.
Check out our best picnic buys:
Sunflora Picnic Backpack: Everything you need to make the most of your day.
Piccadilly Picnic Basket For Two: A must-have for date night.
Cooler Shock Reusable Ice Packs: Just add water and freeze- these packs stay cool for up to 48 hours!
Cutting Board Set with Knife: On the road chopping made simple. This set includes 4 boards and a ceramic knife with carrying case.
OCOOPA Extra Large, Soft Pocket Blanket: Soft and cozy, this blanket has secret compartments so you can keep your items safe.
Himal Collapsible Portable Corn Hole Boards: Set them up anywhere and you’re guaranteed to have a good time.
GoSports Bocce Set: Everything you need to have an epic game day.
ArtCreativity Blue, Pink & Purple Bubble Blaster Set: Feel like a kid again with this set of battery-powered bubble blowers. Bubbles and batteries are included!
Swirled may be compensated when users click on the affiliate links in this newsletter. Products are in stock at the time of publication.
Sign up for our newsletter.
Say hello to the best part of your day.